Modified on: 10/02/2021
What are feminized cannabis seeds and what are the best varieties?
Have you ever heard of female cannabis seeds, also called feminized seeds, and you want to know what they are and which are the best varieties?
Below we will explain in detail what feminized marijuana seeds are, how they are obtained, and we will also show you the most popular varieties on the market.
Let’s also talk about the cannabis seed market: it is possible to sell marijuana seeds because they are THC-free, so until they grow, they are entirely harmless.
The meaning of feminized seeds
In nature, it is impossible to distinguish between female and male cannabis seeds. There is no such distinction, as it is the plant that will show its genetic characteristics during growth. A marijuana seed is always the same, whether it can produce a female or a male plant.
The problem is that cannabis growers interested in producing flowers only need female plants. Tired of having to carefully control the plantation to identify and eliminate male plants (flower pollinators and therefore capable of ruining the harvest), cannabis growers and seed banks have found an excellent solution.
The solution is to produce seeds with female chromosomes only, capable of generating exclusively – or almost exclusively – female plants. These are feminized seeds, also known as female cannabis seeds.
How are feminised seeds produced?
Female or feminized marijuana seeds are produced exceptionally. The first experiments to obtain seeds of this type were done by stressing the female plant, by interrupting the light cycle during flowering.
However, this method was not very successful, and seed banks such as BSF Seeds opted for a safer solution. This procedure consists of spraying female plants with a solution capable of interrupting the production of ethylene, a hormone involved in flowering.
During spraying, the female plants produce pockets of pollen (which usually only grow on the males). At this stage, seed producers bring the flowers from female plants to be pollinated by hormonally modified flowers, or by plants of the female genus that produce pollen. From this action, weed seeds with exclusively female chromosomes, the feminized seeds, are born.
Marijuana seeds of this type have an exclusively female DNA, so they have a 99% chance of giving life to female marijuana plants.
But what are the best varieties of feminized seeds? Let’s see them in the next paragraph.
The best feminized-marijuana seeds
The qualities of feminized weed seeds are numerous because all cannabis plants (if adequately treated) can produce seeds with exclusively female genetics. But some varieties are trendy because of the characteristics of the plants they can provide.
These varieties are high yielding, therefore they will give a lot of flowers abundant in THC. The tastes and aromas are also particular and highly sought-after. These are the varieties we are talking about:
- Darth Haze feminized seeds: Darth Haze is a cross between Bubba Kash Pre 98 and Lebron Haze with 50% Sativa and 50% indica genes. The THC of the flowers can vary from 18 to 22%. The yield ranges from 500 to 600 gr / m2 indoors and from 700 to 1000 gr per plant if grown in a greenhouse.
- Lebron Haze Feminized Seeds: With 70% Sativa genetics and 30% indica, this variety has strong euphoric effects, a THC between 18 and 22% and a very high yield. It can produce from 500 to 650 gr / m² of flowers indoors and from 1000 to 1200 gr per plant in greenhouses.
- Gorilla Glue Feminized seeds: The Gorilla Glue variety is well known for its high percentages of cannabinoids, created by the massive amounts of resin produced by the flowers. The THC of Gorilla Glue is about 18%, its genetics is 20% Sativa and 80% indica, while the yield in flowers varies from 500 to 600 gr / m2 indoors and from 1000 to 1200 gr per plant if the plants are greenhouse grown.
- Super Lemon Haze Feminized seeds: this cannabis variety is 80% Sativa and 20% indica, the THC of its flowers is 19%, and its excellent yield varies from 450 to 700 gr / m2 indoors and from 1000 to 1200 gr per plant if grown in a greenhouse.
- Moby D Feminized seeds: a precious cross between White Widow and Jack Herer, which has a specific genetic: 80% Sativa and 20% indica, 19% THC, and that gives between 500 and 600 gr / m2 indoors and from 1000 to 1200 gr per plant if grown in a greenhouse.
- Critical +2 feminized seeds: It has 60% Sativa genetics and 40% indica, so with an excellent euphoric effect followed by muscle relaxation, 20% THC, and yields from 500 to 600 gr / m2 indoors and from 600 to 1000 gr per greenhouse plant.